Friday, March 8, 2013

the north texas cake show is coming up

I'm excited and stressed for the upcoming North Texas Cake show. This cake show only happens every other year and yet I'm never prepared!

I also haven't been making cakes regularly so I'm kind of out of the loop on new techniques and styles. I'm debating whether I should even compete in this year's show....well not really, I want to compete! I just have no cake designs in mind. That's where I always get stuck!

Here was my last submission:


I placed 2nd in the Adult Intermediate Wedding Category. I had grand ideas for this cake that never happened too! I made all of the flowers weeks before I had a design in mind. In just days before the competition, I slapped everything on my cake! I'm surprised I even placed. It was very sloppy and plain. I had no sleep during that time. I vow to not do that again this year!

As boring and unfinished as it is, it's actually one of my favorite cakes that I've entered in a cake competition. I think it has to do with the variety of flowers and color combo? Also the decorative pieces...although I don't really know what I was trying to do with the topper! hahaha!

These were my first cake competitions cakes:

3rd Place - Adult Beginner Wedding Category
That Takes the Cake Show 2009
Austin, TX

1st Place - Adult Beginner Wedding Category
Sugar Wonders Cake Show 2009
McKinney, TX

1st Place - Adult Beginner Novelty Tiered Category
Sugar Wonders Cake Show 2009
McKinney, TX


I've been pinning really gorgeous cakes onto my Cake Love board on Pinterest. Hopefully all of these beautiful cakes will help motivate me and give me some ideas for the cake show!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your competition! Maybe you can do a peacock theme cake?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I was wanting to do a peacock theme last time but that didn't happen! oh well, we'll see...if anything, it'll be peacockyish without an actual peacock!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck! Your cakes are very lovely, especially the detail and handwork of your flowers! Fantastic!

    What do you think about an "under the sea" kind of theme? With beautiful corals and watermarks, even like a watercolor on the fondant? I don't know! Lol have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! I had been wanting to do an aquatic theme for sometime too. I may just have to try that out this year!?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...