Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I went camping...sort of


This past weekend, Calat and I went camping with his friends at Beavers Bend in Broken Bow, Oklahoma, which is a 3 hour drive from Dallas, TX. We had been planning it for the past couple of months.

Camping is on my 30-before-30 list, but I'm not sure if I can cross it off. My vision of camping is being out in the wilderness with a tent with limited modern amenities. This camping trip was far from that. We stayed at the Leaping Lizard Lodge that comfortably accommodated our 20+ group. Yes, the cabin was huge! It had 4 bedrooms, giant kitchen, a game room, which was a total man cave, a hot tub, a couple of hammocks and a pavilion. The cabin was so nice. I wish I took more pictures! Since the lodge was called Leaping Lizard, there were cute lizard things everywhere, even in the brick outside!

Check out that fall foliage




Calat and I arrived later than everyone else on Friday night. Once we got there, we just jumped right in to party mode to celebrate our friends' birthdays. Happy Birthday, Kavin and Phuong! There was lots of food, drinks and laughs. 

All they got for their birthday was a big booty cake!

Saturday morning, a few of us headed over to Broken Bow Lake to check it out. It was beautiful. I probably could have stayed there the whole day.


Panoramic view of Broken Bow Lake from Calat

After the lake, we headed back to the cabin to get our grub on. We had all sorts of grilled and smoked meats: brisket, ribs, fajitas, burgers, etc. I think I overdosed on meat. 

My highlight of the weekend was when it was time to make 'smores...This was my first time to have a real 'smores experience! Calat and I brought all of the 'smores essentials, including different kinds of chocolates, cinnamon and regular graham crackers, and giant marshmallows!

I made my 'smores with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and Hershey's Cookies 'n Cream! I ate 3! I probably could have eaten more, if the marshmallows weren't so big, it made it kind of hard to eat. 

Reeses 'smores

Cookies 'n Cream 'smores

Calat and I had to leave earlier than everyone else too. We were already trying to plan our next camping camping trip before we left!

Next time, I hope to stay a little longer and explore the area more, whether it be going on a hike, fishing or just checking out the local shops and restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...